Tuesday, August 02, 2011

I can't believe I .........

I fell flat on my face this morning in the driveway. The damage is mostly to my face and my dignity. I have a cut on my chin (stitches in the ER), split lip, longer cut on my forehead (SteriStrips and "superglue") probably caused by my glasses, multiple hand and arm abrasions, and what will soon be extreme aches and pains. They told me I'll have a lovely black eye, and that is certainly developing.

John was just leaving to go row, and I went out to get the paper. Just lost my footing, and fell right in front of the car. Fortunately, he didn't run over me, and was home to take me to the ER.

They took x-rays of my right elbow, which was pretty badly skinned, but obviously it was okay. So far, nothing hurts below the waist. I've got some "road rash", and they had to pick some pieces of grit out of the wounds, and a tetanus shot. I'll definitely have a black eye - the lid is already starting to swell and obscure part of my field of vision. The body aches are really starting up now. I called the rheumatologist to report in and was told I could up the amount of pain Rx I was taking, so I'll definitely do that. Lots of ice packs, too.

John’s been taking such good care of me, only a minimum amount of teasing (so far), and taking the obligatory documentation pictures. My glasses weren’t even bent, and only a few scratches - although I’ll probably replace them the next time I see the doctor. No doubt there will be more beauty pictures tomorrow.
================================
Home from the ER.
 


Later in the day (black eye starting)
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh no! My son bonked his head against another boy the other day. When I told him he was going to get a shiner, he shouted "YES!" happily. Maybe we should all take that attitude. This isn't a dignity killer, but an opportunity to look tough. :-) Hope it heals soon!

Harriet said...

Oh, I empathize. I always feel so...dopey. (He was my favorite dwarf, but I didn't want to emulate him!)

Take it easy -- healing may be slow -- and know I am thinking of you.

Harriet said...

One more thing... My daughter walked by and saw your picture. She's sorry too.

Bev Sykes said...

Oh, poor baby! I'm so sorry!