Well, they've finished the constructing work on the deck. One of the guys came by this morning to sand down any rough edges, and to help me put the hangers back up and replace my hanging baskets, bird feeder, wind chimes, and wind catchers. They'll come back sometime to repaint - and we'll put it up all over again. We got a very nice rain shower this afternoon, too.
One political note (I'm being SO good)…I've watched the Democratic Convention (and even some of the Republican Convention) on PBS. It has been fabulous coverage with Gwen Ifill and Judy Woodruff. It has been totally nonpartisan coverage, calm, and with the only drama coming from the convention participants themselves. No one who knows me has any questions about my feelings on this election, but the PBS coverage has been outstanding.
Thursday, July 28, 2016
Wednesday, July 27, 2016
The guys are almost finished with the deck. They didn't get permission to replace the entire thing, but the base was (and is) really very sturdy. The worst parts have been replaced. There are new steps and handrail. The new boards will have to be painted, and then the guys will help me put my hangers and plants and windchimes and windcatchers back up. It's nice to finally get something done - quickly, once they got started.
Tuesday, July 26, 2016
They started work on my deck this afternoon. I'd been nagging since I moved in. But it took the broken step about a month ago and Margaret's getting involved to finally get something done. They did some partial dismantling, and have started replacing some of the decking floor boards. And I have some lovely "crime scene yellow tape" across my sliding glass door to remind me not to go out there.
They had stopped for the day when we got a really hard rain shower - about 30 minutes worth. Not nearly enough, but we'll certainly appreciate whatever we get. And now the sun is out again.
Monday, July 25, 2016
Still hot here, of course. On my way home from the Civic Center/bridge this afternoon - a drive of about 15 minutes - I drove through TWO frog-drowner showers, with the wipers going full blast. And then nothing at all here at home. Crazy stuff.
I had some good cards today. We play five 30-minute rounds, changing partners at each break. A pretty good round would be 600-800 points, standard contract bridge scoring. I have over 1000 points in each round. It felt good!
Sunday, July 24, 2016
- The hummingbirds have started coming up on the deck and looking in my doors to check on me. 8^)
- I was blown away by the murals in Philadelphia, as profiled on CBS Sunday Morning today. Wow! I'd love to see this done in every city.
- Carol told me today that she had just finished binge-watching The West Wing - all 156 episodes. She had never watched any of it before. What a treat to see TWW for the first time!
- The Caine Mutiny is going to be on TCM beginning Monday night midnight Eastern Time. Set your recording.
Saturday, July 23, 2016
Friday, July 22, 2016
- Swimming and coffee - good as always.
- Went to duplicate. I think we came in last. I don't think we bid or played very well. Hopefully better next time.
- Miserably hot again, but with a quick cool-down shower about 5 p.m. Only about 0.2", but we'll take whatever we can get.
- We're having a "meet and greet" next week to meet the new Executive Director of the Terrace.
- Another tragic shooting in Munich. I hope we never get to the point where we are not horrified any time a multiple shooting happens.