Sunday, May 29, 2016
In about 1972, John and I bought a piece of land at Canoe Branch Landing in Castalian Springs, TN. It was on a creek that ran into the Cumberland River at an area called Seven Mile Bluff. We designed and built a small cabin (about 12 x 20'). When I say built, I mean that literally. We had professionals pour the footings for the concrete block piers and we had the septic tank professionally installed. Other than that, we did it all. I don't remember how long it took - probably a year or more. We used raw oak boards. Did you know fresh-cut oak lumber smells like sour milk? Or that when it dries, it gets so hard that you have to drill holes in it to get nails in it? We didn't know these things, but we certainly learned.
The first floor was one big room, with a kitchen and bathroom at one end. We found hanging globe light fixtures that had come out of an old school in Sumner County. The upstairs was reached by pull-down attic stairs. We had two rooms upstairs - just for sleeping. The ceiling was sloped - 8' on the creek side, 4' on the road side - so no beds, just mattresses.
John was a supervisor at duPont at the time and was not happy with his job. He got a lot of therapy from all the hammering and manual labor. He said every nail had somebody's name on it. But the work got done, with our working only on weekends.
We just used the cabin on weekends, but even planted a large garden a couple of years. The girls learned to drive John's old straight-shift 1959 Chevrolet around the circle at the end of the road. In 1979, the rehearsal dinner for Margaret and Bobby's wedding was there.
In about 1982 or so, Pink had moved to Hendersonville, the girls were gone, and we had started traveling some. And our weekends at the cabin all but stopped. It was a traumatic decision, but we decided to sell. As I remember, a young Metro Nashville policeman bought it. We never went back, and subsequently moved to Chattanooga in 1986.
I recent read an article about Indian Mounds in Castalian Springs, and it brought back memories about the cabin. I skyped with Jean today and she told me that she had gone to find the cabin a few days ago. She found it without difficulty and talked to another property owner -a man who is the son of the man we bought the property from. He told her that it's owned by a retired policeman, so it must be the same family. She says it's obviously well loved and well taken care of. She'll take me up there the next time I go to Hendersonville.
And I've had a lovely evening wallowing in nostalgia.
Saturday, May 28, 2016
Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter Meme
- When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper? Last week, I wrote a thank-you letter to a friend.
- Can you change the oil on a car? Definitely not.
- Ever gotten a speeding ticket? Yes
- Run out of gas? Yes, but it was because of a broken gas gauge.
- Favorite kind of sandwich? I like most kinds of sandwiches.
- Best thing to eat for breakfast? Two eggs, over medium, with rye toast.
- What is your usual bedtime? 11:30ish.
- Are you lazy? Yes
- When you were a kid, what did you dress up as for Halloween? I don't remember doing that, although I'm sure I did.
- Do you have any magazine subscriptions? Not as many as I used to. I now have two, I think.
- Which are better, legos or lincoln logs? I never played with either one, but I think I'd like Legos.
- Are you stubborn? Not about everything, but I can be
- Who is better…Leno or Letterman? Never watched either one.
- Ever watch soap operas? I did, but it was probably about 40-45 years ago.
- Afraid of heights? Not to the point of acrophobia.
- Sing in the car? Sometimes.
- Dance in the shower? Absolutely not.
- Dance in the car? Not this, either.
- Ever used a gun? I've shot a BB gun.
- Do you think musicals are cheesy? I love the old MGM musicals.
- Is Christmas stressful? I don't "do" Christmas any more.
- Ever eat a pierogi? Once
- Major annoyance right now? Just being old and clumsy.
- Occupations you wanted to be when you were a kid? I don't remember any "what I want to be when I grow up"
- Do you believe in ghosts? Not specifically (only what FJ tells me).
Friday, May 27, 2016
This was an unusual Friday - much busier than usual - with highs and lows.
I went to swimming as usual - and coffee. The son of one of our swimmer buddies lost his long battle with cancer yesterday. His mother, family and friends wil miss him terribly. RIP Curtis.
On the brighter side, I went back to duplicate this afternoon. A gal I've played with on Mondays asked me to go with her. I don't know that I'll keep playing with her - she's not a great player. But maybe we'll both get better. And I'm glad to be back doing that.
After supper, I played here again. This time it was in one gal's apartment. She's in her 90s, too, and pretty crippled and in pain. But she's a hell of a bridge player, and I'm glad to get a chance to play with her. I know this is hard to believe, but I was the most able-bodied person in the room, but the two hours and two rubbers of bridge were hard fought. And lots of fun.
Thursday, May 26, 2016
Will the TV work today????
Saturday, Margaret brought me a TV to put in my bedroom. Now to get it hooked up. Plugged into the wall. Check.
Monday, bought a coax cable at BestBuy. Got Maintenance to plug that into the wall. Check.Nothing yet.
Tuesday. Called Comcast to get things set up for a second TV. They're to send me a box to hook up so I can get cable and HD. Did I want a tech to come to install it? No, I'll try it myself. Did I want it sent overnight? No.
Wednesday. Cable box arrived. Maybe I can do this. Simple directions. I can reach everything. Various cords and plugs attached. Nothing. Asked Maintenance to come Thursday to try.
Thursday. Maintenance came about noon. He couldn't make it work. Called Comcast. The tech gal spent about an hour with me on the phone talking me through various steps, plugging and unplugging, periods where she did things at her end. No luck. She finally gave up and said she'd have a tech come out. It turned out someone could come today, maybe as late as 8 p.m. The tech showed up before 3. He did a bunch of things, then went to the truck to get another box. Before 4 p.m., he had it working!!! He said he had to remove some sort of filter from the TV (at least I think that's what he said), so it's something someone else would never have known to do.
But tonight, I get to do something I've never done in my own home before. If I choose, I can watch the 11 p.m. news from my bed.
It's these little things that make our lives so exciting!
Wednesday, May 25, 2016
- Just as we went into Panera Bread this morning, the lights went partially out. Oops. We guessed somebody ran into a power pole or that a transformer blew out. Anyhow there was a minimum of emergency lighting, but they couldn't use anything that heated, or the computer/cash registers, etc. Those of us who had ordered, got what they'd already put on trays, but we couldn't pay for it. Those in the space before they locked the doors got coffee or hot water from the urns (as long as it lasted) for free.
- We settled in to have our coffee and to talk.
- Soon, staff brought around the timed-out souffles to give away. A nice early lunch.
- We'll offer to pay for our coffee and bagels when we go in on Friday. I wonder when they got power back.
- Vicki had one of her watercolor classes. There were two of us there. I put paint on paper, but it was mostly mess. Better luck next time.
- The cable box from Comcast/Xfinity came today.
- I think I got it hooked up correctly, but I couldn't make it work.
- I can't get the Comcast remote to work. The TV remote will turn it on, but nothing happens with the other one.
- I asked someone from Maintenance to come to try to get it done tomorrow.
- Carol and Stephen called and asked me to have dinner with them at Formosa. Good company and good food!
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
Monday, May 23, 2016
I did my usual Monday stuff - swimming, coffee, haircut. Next to BestBuy to get a coax cable for the TV Margaret brought me, and killing time at the library.
But then I went to Panera Bread for lunch. I had seen that one of their new salads was a Green Goddess salad, and wanted to try that. Wow! is it ever good! Lots of different greens, marinated red onions, chicken, avocado, hardboiled egg. I got a half-salad, and ate every bit. It was delicious. Give it a try sometime.