Wednesday, February 22, 2017
For having accomplished absolutely nothing, this week is going fairly fast. The main topic of conversation around here is the weather. We may tie a record high on Friday that goes back to 1870! Things are blooming like crazy. And the days have been lovely. But the explosion of pollen is really causing suffering - especially with me. I even called the nurse here at the Terrace, and she suggested Flonase. I've gotten some of that, but so far it hasn't helped much. I have a regular appointment with the rheumatologist tomorrow, and he may have some suggestions, too.
On the good side, I got my tax stuff to the CPA this morning. (At least I guess that's a good thing.)
Monday, February 20, 2017
Sunday, February 19, 2017
1. Which living person do you admire the most, and why? I can't think of a "most". I do admire Jimmy Carter for being a genuinely good person, doing the best he can to make life better for others. And the servicemen and women, police, and firefighters who volunteer to keep us safe.
2. When were you the happiest? With family and traveling/learning with John.
3. Besides property, automobile or furniture, what is the most expensive thing you have bought? Travelling, beach house rentals. I don't much buy "things".
4. What is your most treasured possession? My family and my memories.
5. Where would you like to live? In good health.
6. Who would you get to play you in a film of your life? Kathy Bates
7. What is your favorite book? Monte Walsh by Jack Schafer, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
8. What is your most unappealing habit? Sloth.
9. Twitter or Facebook? (Or if both share the differences in your opinion.) Facebook. I've never been on Twitter, and wouldn't know how.
10. What would be your fancy dress costume of choice? I would politely decline an invitation to that party.
11. What is your earliest memory? Getting my thumb caught in the refrigerator door at age 3.
12. What is your guiltiest pleasure? Ice cream.
13. What do you owe your parents? My life, my values.
14. To whom would you most like to say sorry, and why? I don't do regrets.
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life? John.
16. What does love feel like to you? Closeness.
17. What was the best kiss of your life? All of them.
18. Which words or phrases do you overuse? Probably too many mild expletives.
19. What's the worst job you have done? Nothing really awful comes to mind.
20. If you could edit your past, what would you change? I like to think I'd take better care of my body.
21. What is the closest you have came to death? I don't think I've been in a really life-threatening situation. Maybe when I cut an artery on a broken bowl.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement? My beautiful family.
23. When did you cry last? I hate to admit it, but over an NCIS episode a couple of weeks ago.
24. How do you relax? I'm almost always relaxed.
25. What single thing would improve the quality of your life? Getting off my butt more.
26. What is the most important lesson life has taught you? Love all your loved ones like each day is your last - it just might be.
Friday, February 17, 2017
Thursday, February 16, 2017
I have been sneezing and coughing and blowing, etc., all week. I don't feel good, but I don't think I feel bad enough for this to be a cold or the flu. Our temperatures have been so warm that everything is blooming - daffodils, locust trees, flowering quince, pink magnolias - and the pollen count has been soaring. It's been years since I had much trouble with allergies, but I think that's what's happening now. In February!!!
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Lunch at a local tea room today was a lovely event put on by my financial advisor and her firm. This was a group of about 20 of her clients - all widows, I assume. A delicious lunch, and we were each presented with a long-stemmed red rose and a favor of Hershey's kisses and some fancy popcorn. She does this every year, and we all look forward to it. I went with two of my swimming buddies - they're the ones who recommended her to me. It made for a good day out.
Monday, February 13, 2017
I went out to dinner with Margaret last night (Mexican - yum!). Today has been pretty much a slug day. But I was going out to play duplicate tonight, so I wouldn't be totally worthless. But then I got a call from my Monday night partner, and we weren't getting to play tonight after all. Turns out they're having a "team game" event (whatever that is), and you have to be in a four-some to play. And we're not. Oh, well - so the whole day was a totally do-nothing day. I guess that's okay every once in awhile.