Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Miscellany

After swimming and painting this morning, I got a little bit of a nap today, and that was nice.

I forgot to mention yesterday that John has been working trying to get his new computer set up. It's been a long slow process for him, and frustrating at times. Now he's trying to back up stuff on the old one. He got off the things we want to save and transfer, but wants to save everything else before we get it wiped clean - just in case he missed something we really didn't want to lose. Oh, well - it will get done eventually. And he is making progress.

We talked to Ann & Al tonight. They got back from their trip to India last week, and are finally getting their body clocks reset. They said that everything you've ever heard or read about India, good or bad, is true. It's an amazing country, and they had a wonderful, but exhausting, trip. And are glad to be home. We're glad, too.

I've done pretty well today with my plan of spending most of the day in the La-Z-Boy. The followup to that is to sleep late in the morning.

Another book recommendation: China Road, by Rob Gifford (NPR correspondent) is a story of his personal journey across China, from Shanghai to the Kazahkstan border. He's lived there for years, and wanted to take one last trip. He was able to go at his own pace, basically where he wanted, and talk to regular people. It's a very readable book, with lots of history and current status. Check it out.

1 comment:

Sian said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! I looked it up on Amazon and have put it on my Wish List. I love travelogues and have an interest in China. My acupuncturist, although Orcadian born and bred, studied in China so we have very interesing conversations as she sticks needles in me! LOL!