Sunday, March 01, 2009

From the pestilential palace...

Considering that I pretty much accomplished my plan of staying in the chair all day, we did a lot today, too. We didn't get any snow out of this storm - but it surely has been windy all day.

I started supper cooking (more about that later). Then John and Allan went to the Gallery with me to help take down my show. The end of Eccentric & Eclectic. I'm still pretty proud of my first solo show. I left a few things there to hang in my regular space. And we even found places to put all the stuff I brought home.

I started some beef/barley/mushroom soup. I've been hungry for that for a while, and I just found some barley. Since we all have colds, it'll be even better tomorrow.

I did the laundry, and we helped the Lady Vols to a win over Vanderbilt. And Allan got some new clients. Busy, busy, busy!

As to our dinner tonight, a couple of months ago, Kate sent a recipe for pernil. It's a Puerto Rican style of cooking pork shoulder. I've had a pork shoulder in the freezer, but just couldn't find a good time to fix it. The meat is coated with a puree of adobo (mixture of onion, garlic, oregano, Ancho chili power, cumin, etc., and cooked all day in a very slow oven. The coating cooks into an incredible savory crust, and the pork is so moist and flavorful. Google "pernil" to find several recipes - and give it a try.

John's definitely on the mend. I'm still fighting the symptoms, so I'm going to skip swimming in the morning.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I've got to remind Wayne of that recipe. Do you think it'd work with a pork loin? We've got a big hunk of that in the freezer.

Sounds like fun - except for the pestilence part.

K

Mary Z said...

I don't know why it wouldn't work on a loin. It might not take all day, though.