Thursday, March 03, 2011

Update and Comment

The back pain seems to be muscular - at least that’s what the physical therapist was working on this morning - and he seemed to have found a “good” spot or two, right side, about 4“ below the waist. Gave me some stretching exercises, plus a heat/electrical stimulation treatment. That was this morning. It‘s hurting a bit now, but I guess that’s about par for the course. I don’t think I sprained anything - probably just an “old” event. The doc said if the conservative treatments didn’t help, he set up a scan of some sort.

Last I heard, Betsy would probably go home from the hospital tomorrow sometime, and in the meantime has been eating a lot. She has gotten so frail, if this makes her gain some weight, it’ll be a wonderful thing.

Comment re the Supreme Court decision in the case of the fundamentalist church in Kansas: As much as I loathe and despise what these people are doing and disagree with their reasons for their actions, I have to keep reminding myself that the decision was based on one of the most fundamental (deliberately chosen word) principles of this country. Many good people have given their lives to make it possible for these disgusting people to shout their obscenities. We have to remember previous instances of the defense of unpleasant speech - the American Nazi march in Skokie, Il, in 1977; the case of Penthouse Magazine and Jerry Falwell in the 1980s. The best thing we can do is to continue to honor our fallen heroes and to see that these people are ignored and not given the publicity they seek.

Click here for a Wikipedia section on Censorship.

And Click here for Bruce Plante’s editorial cartoon in the Tulsa World.
---------------------------
Avebury stones.

 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

As much as the Supreme Court decision pains me, I wouldn't have it any other way either. Sounds like you're feeling better finally!

Harriet said...

My feeling about the Court decision -- I've written it elsewhere -- is not with freedom of speech, but with the indecency of invading a funeral. The woman who represents the group is disgusting. And I thought that the definition of decency was decided by the community.

I applaud the citizens who protected a church with their own supportive posters.

Harriet said...

My feeling about the Court decision -- I've written it elsewhere -- is not with freedom of speech, but with the indecency of invading a funeral. The woman who represents the group is disgusting. And I thought that the definition of decency was decided by the community.

I applaud the citizens who protected a church with their own supportive posters.