Thursday, August 16, 2007

Wednesday on the Rivers (Tennessee & Ohio)

We woke up this morning, tied up to a stanchion, waiting for our turn to go through the Kentucky Lock. That one is very busy, and is just above the confluence of Tennessee and the Ohio. We arrived at the Paducah dock while we were eating lunch. This is such a nice river town. It was about 99 when we headed up the ramp toward the flood wall. Paducah sends out a welcoming committee with pins and brochures for the passengers. Just a nice touch.

We went straight to the Museum of the American Quilting Society. Those quilts are mind-boggling. The work and techniques and creativity involved is truly awesome. In the meeting room, there is what looks to be a lovely quilt hanging from a rope on the wall. It is actually a wood carving, and even on close inspection is extremely difficult to tell it is not cloth. Of couse, they don't let you touch, but they do have a sample from the artist that you can touch. For Most Spectacular, we awarded the prize to the all white, totally hand-stitched quilt. It had been a big prize-winner a couple of years ago, and we could see why. The other one I liked best actually looked like one of my paintings. Gee, wonder why I liked THAT one!

We went to another museum in town, where one of the exhibits is dedicated to a World War I nurse named "Mary Wheeler". Hmmmm - I don't think that was me, and I don't have an ancestor with that specific name.

Back to the boat for a shower, some more bridge, and the Captain's Champagne Reception and Dinner. No champagne for me, of course, but the prime rib was very good. As I write, we're waiting for the last lock on the Ohio before the confluence (which we reach about midnight), and I'm heading downstairs for the bluegrass concert. Obviously, no internet connection tonight.

This is posted on Thursday morning as we're docking at New Madrid, MO.

I keep trying to post a photo of the Wright house in Florence, AL, but it's taking too long to upload, so I'd best give up. Better luck next time.

No comments: