Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tuesday on the Tennessee

It was an easy day today - since the predicted high was 104. I don't know what it got to - the last time I looked it was 100. Amazingly, by suppertime it has gotten almost comfortable outside. Of course, that was while we were moving and on the shady side of the boat. We went out to sit in the rocking chairs on the bow deck after supper, and it was lovely.

We woke this morning tied up at Savannah, TN. Ann and Al took the tour to the Shiloh Battlefield. John refuses to tour Civil War sites any more. We'll make this stop in November when we take the Riverbarge tour, so I decided to wait until the weather was more comfortable. John and I took the shuttle into town - a very small west TN town. Our step-on guide was a cute local girl, who was doing her first tour. Her delivery was pretty rough, but she was nice. John got off and went to the local museum, and I just rode the bus through the historic part of town, then went back to the boat. John came back on the next run.

I never could get any internet coverage this morning. But here we are tonight, somewhere between I-40 and the Kentucky line, and I'm getting a pretty good connection. Go figure!

Our lunch today was fun - a "picnic". The tables in the dining room were set up family style, and we had bowls of potato salad, slaw, white beans, baked beans, fried chicken, fried catfish, ribs, watermelon, plus iced tea or lemonade. It was really very good. We got to take a short tour of the galley this afternoon. It's amazing how they turn out such great food from such a tiny, crowded space.

Sorry - no photo today. I just couldn't get one to upload.

No comments: