Monday, August 20, 2007

Letter writing again


No rain here, still, and temps are still predicted in the high 90s and low 100s. We surely are tired of this. It was great to get back to swimming again this morning.

I'm going to see Beth tomorrow. She has her "marking" visit to the radiologist, and I told her that I'd go with her. Once she gets started, she'll be fine. She's doing very well overall, and once the newness of this part gets over with, she'll be fine with that, too. Also, this'll be the first time I've gotten to see her since this whole thing started for her.

Bridge today: Two weeks ago, as I thought, I was high for the six tables. Today was payback. Absolutely LOUSY cards! I stayed at the same table through the whole six progressions (high partnership moves up, losing partnership stays at the table, both changing partners for the next round). I think I may have had 2500 points total, and a bit over 1000 of that was on the last round. Oh, well - it'll get better - some day.

It was letter-writing time again. Some explanation: The cover story in the 6 August issue of Newsweek Magazine was called "Slaughter in the Jungle" and was about poaching of gorillas. Letters to the Editor about this story were in the issue of 27 August. Five letters and a synopsis paragraph were printed. This is my letter to Newsweek in response to the letters:

Your cover story on the Killing of the Great Apes was about terrible events and was very moving. The Letters to the Editor in reaction to this story all expressed horror and sadness and emotion at such madness and cruelty.

However, I was struck that people were writing about the killing of gorillas, but nobody is writing weekly letters expressing the same horror, sadness, and emotion about the madness and cruelty going on in Iraq, and the killing of U.S troops there.

Today's photo was taken in Kenilworth Gardens in Washington, DC, by a guest photographer.

No comments: