Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Medical Update

The dentist gave me a great report this morning (as usual). Not so much from the orthopedist.

Actually, it was a good news/bad news sort of thing. The good news is that I’m not having much pain, and getting pretty good range of motion.

The bad news is that the x-rays don’t look that good. The bones have shifted some, and are not lined up as they should be. The bones have softened (it’s the old age thing), and one of the screws has moved almost through the head of the humerus.

He said if I were left-handed and 40 years old, he’d be either doing surgery again to redo the fixation or putting in a prosthesis. But since I’m right-handed and 76, he’s going to wait a while to see how things progress. Then we’ll decide what comes next. I see him again on 28 Sept, right before the next trip. Whatever happens, I’m probably always going to be limited in range of motion, like not lifting that arm over my head, etc.

Since I’m not being waked up at night with pain, and taking only x-acetominophen and bed-time Lortab, I’m to continue working on increasing range of motion. I can pretty much do anything I feel like doing. I’m going to get back into the pool and work on increasing my strength. The doc said I could drive, but I agree with John that I’d better increase my stamina before I do that.

I asked about the dizziness and the intention tremor. He said the tremor would probably go away eventually, and gave me some exercises to do to help with that. He suggested that I see first an ENT and then maybe a neurologist if the dizziness doesn’t resolve in a couple of weeks or so.

So that’s the medical news from here for today.
============================
The house we stayed in near Lassen Volcanic National Park.


1 comment:

Captain Poolie said...

Oh my gosh! Take it easy and heal up real soon!