Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Bionic Woman

I saw the orthopedist this morning for new x-rays. Not good news. It looks like I’m about to join the Bionic Woman set, with a partial shoulder replacement.

The fracture is not healing, and the screws are not holding. The doc’s giving me time to think about it, and the option of doing nothing. I’ve gotten a pretty good range of motion and not a lot of pain. With the prosthesis, I’d get a little bit more motion with no pain.

I want to talk with my rheumatologist and probably get a second opinion. I’ve always said if I was told I needed a joint replacement (always thinking hip or knee, of course), I wouldn’t be one of those who balked and delayed until it was really, really bad. So I’m pretty sure I’ll be having the recommended surgery before too much longer. Stay tuned.

 

4 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Oh...so sorry! But everyone says that it's a good decision, so I hope it is for you too.

Captain Poolie said...

Oh dear! Oh dear!

Harriet said...

Ow! I think I would choose the surgery, considering my own shoulder. It is fine if I don't reach for the wrong thing -- but I often forget, reach instead of getting a stepstool, and end up hurting for a week.

Jennifer said...

Oh shoot! I'd really hoped it would be a better outcome for you.