Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Change is never easy

Tuesday: We went to a meeting this morning to explain some of the changes that are going to take place in our supplementary insurance on 1 January. Instead of group coverage from John's employer, the insurance will be individualized and managed by an administratory (is that a word?) company. We'll provide all our medical information to their counselors, who will then help each of us find a company and coverage that best fits our needs. John and I will probably wind up with different coverages. which is okay. I thought of a couple more questions after we left, but I'll ask those when we have our "at least an hour long" telephone interview to get all this stuff set up. I'll get all our medical information plugged into their web-site form before the phone call. It's always something .....

I got my massage today, and it was wonderful. I think this may be the first time my neck/upper back/shoulder muscles have totally relaxed since I fell. I'm already looking forward to the next one.
=========================
Wednesday: Well, so much for the massage benefits lasting for a while.

We finally completed the first stage of our lead-up to enrolling in the new retirement insurance plan this afternoon. Of course, for us, nothing went as promised. I couldn't do the first part online. When I called to ask how to do it, the (very patient and kind) Indian-accented man told me that I had to do it over the phone. There's no way John could have handled this on the phone (between his hearing, the soft voice, and the accent), but he had to go through a certain amount of questions to authorize me to answer the questions for him. This part the process for the two of us took probably 1.5 hours.

I called friends who were also at the program yesterday to warn them. Of course, they'd been able to do it all online. I have no idea why I couldn't get to do it online. Afterwards, I could get to the site and all the info from the phone call was in our account on the site. Go figure! I can't wait until they ask for comments on their process.

My neck and shoulders were SO sore by the time I got through. It took a pain pill, two applications of the heated rice-sock, and some shoulder massage by John to get that resolved. Oh, well - we never thought it would be easy. Our hour-long (each) telephone appointment for the next phase of the enrollment has been set for 30 October. What a wonderful thing to look forward to.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I am watching this with interest, and you are providing a public service. I am so very suspicious of these companies that are supposed to help you.