Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A voice from the past

I got a neat surprise in the snail mail today. A couple of months ago, a letter I wrote was published in the National Geographic magazine. This letter was from a "boy friend" I had in junior high school! He had seen my name in the magazine, and had googled my name. He found our photo site and our street address. I recognized his name as soon as I saw it on the envelope, but couldn't really believe it. Now I'm working on a reply to his letter. What fun to get a voice from the WAY-BACK past!

I think things are going to work up quickly with the new Gallery space. Work should have begun by this time tomorrow on the new bathroom and painting. This space is literally just around the corner from where we are located now. It still looks pretty rough from the outside, but the local foundation that is promoting the renaissance of the South Side is going to be redoing the facade with new windows and awnings. The vertical spaces immediately above the awnings are painted-over
windows, and will be uncovered - so there will be abundant light inside. The red-brick building in the back left is where Studio2/Gallery2 is located now. There will be streetscaping with trees and streetlamps. Mostly all that needs to be done inside is some cosmetic work.

We should definitely be in by 1 September, and ready (one way or another) for the city-wide Gallery Hop on 13 September. Unfortunately, we'll be out of town on that date, but I'll have work there, and will be there in spirit.

No comments: