Friday, August 08, 2008

The Olympics and more


If you want to follow the Olympics - live - and check up on some of the sports that they don't bother to show on TV, put the NBC Olympics web site in your "favorites" list.

I tried to knit on the shawl the other day. And I still thought there was a mistake in the pattern, but hadn't gotten a response from the company. Today, I went to my local yarn store where I had bought the pattern, and threw myself on their mercy.

Sherri was wonderful patient with my frustration. I explained where I was and what I had done. I had taken the two problematic rows and hand-written them out stitch by stitch, and had John check them to be sure I had done it correctly.

She took the work and went over it, checking what I had done. What she eventually found was that there were TWO errors, one in the row setting up the design pattern, and another in the following pattern row. The second one was obvious - I had noticed it right away, but I had missed the first one. I've been working on it some this evening, and it seems to be working.

As well, she managed to teach this old dog a new trick! And I'm thrilled to death with that. When you suspect a pattern, and have written it out like I did, be sure to check for symmetry - looking to be sure it's the same backwards as it is forwards. That was something I had never thought to do, and I'm eternally grateful for that bit of wisdom!

The Thought for the Day from A Word A Day follows:
Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good. -Alice May Brock, author (b. 1941)

I sent this out to some of our e-mail folks, and got some additions. Anne said: How could she have left out that cilantro, cumin and chilies make it Mexican!
And Dalton added: grease makes it southern! I certainly have to agree with the additions.

No comments: