Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympics, knitting, and politics

We haven't done much else today except watch the Olympics. John watched a reply of a USA Women's basketball game on the computer.

I think I might (just MIGHT) have finally gotten a handle on this knitted shawl pattern. I was about to give up and try a crocheted pattern, but I'm really not very adept at crocheting anything except afghans. Anyhow, I decided to "TINK" (unknit one stitch at a time) a couple of rows, and then, VOILA!, the light came on. I'm hoping this will look nice. So far, I haven't found any more errors, but the instructions are very poorly written. OK - enough about that!

I'm just now getting around to reading the August issue of the Smithsonian Magazine. In this time just before the 2008 political party conventions, there's a very interesting article about four history-making conventions (1912, [Rep]; 1948 [Dem]; 1964 [Rep]; and 1968 [Dem]. It's an excellent article. Click here to read the article online.

The photo is from the 1880 Republican convention.

No comments: