Friday, September 30, 2011

Music Reviews

I’m probably the last person who should make any music reviews, but…. As John said, I’ve probably never had a “humble opinion” in my life.

I had heard about, and ordered, three new DVDs, something I rarely do. We listened to them all today, and here’s my reviews.

1. Tony Bennett Duets II.
Tony Bennett has been one of the music icons for many years, and I’ve loved his music for all those years. He probably should’ve stopped before this one. We were disappointed. For old time’s sake, I’d give it maybe 2 (out of 5).

2. Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton play the blues.
How can you possibly go wrong with these two playing New Orleans jazz? Well, you can’t. Great music and wonderful pairing of these two. Go get this one. 4.5

3. Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk.
I never saw Laurie in the BBC programs with John Cleese, so the only thing I knew about him was playing in “House”. I watched “House” a few times and hated the character, so I stopped watching. There was a piece about Laurie and this album on CBS Sunday Morning last week, and I was blown away. This is fabulous New Orleans Blues music. Run, don’t walk, to make it part of your collection! 5
============================================
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Re Tony Bennett: I thought maybe it wouldn't happen to him. So many singers begin to lose it in their seventies. Perry Como was hitting some sour notes the last time I heard him. Ditto Steve Lawrence.

I suppose Bennett, in his eighties, can't expect to keep it forever. His manager probably figured he's still popular enough to sell one more. Watching him record for the first Duets album (on PBS) was wonderful. His singing partners were awed to be in his presence.

Frank Sinatra didn't sing as well as he aged, but he could interpret a lyric -- we went to a Sinatra concert in New Haven around 1985.