Monday, June 08, 2009

A time to remember

We've done almost nothing today - but we did it very well! I did fix bacon, eggs & chorizo, and biscuits for breakfast this morning. The other six days of the week are always the same - alternating between an egg & toast and cereal, so I splurge on Sunday mornings. And I do the laundry on Sunday, so that happened today, too.

But last night was one of my rare non-sleeping nights, so I got in a solid 2-hour nap this afternoon. However, while I was up at 2 a.m., I got to see a lot of the D-Day ceremonies from the US Cemetery in Normandy. We were in France 10 years ago with Paul, who was 14 at the time. The cemeteries in Normandy are incredibly emotional places - the heroes still surround and protect us there.












The U.S. Cemetery above Omaha Beach is huge (upper photo from Google). We also found a much smaller Canadian cemetery farther east and away from the beach. It was full of flowers, and we were especially moved to notice that the area was planted with maple trees - the symbol of Canada.(lower photo from Google)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: