Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Lagniappe

The internet is such fun! You never know what will happen when you post something.

I know that you have to use common sense with posting factual information about yourself. And you certainly have to be careful about dealing with people you might meet online. Having said this, I'll tell you about some out-of-the-blue contacts I've gotten as a result of a posting I made on a large public site.
One of my favorite sites is A Word A Day. I've always loved words and languages, and this is a fun look at various words. I check it daily.

About a week or so ago, I posted a comment about one of the words - nothing special or unusual or controversial. About two days later, I got an e-mail from a gentleman in Gulfport, MS, relating to MY comment. Over the course of several days, we exchanged about 10 e-mails, culminating with his sending me several photo calendars that his company had compiled with photos of that area of the Gulf Coast. So we've made a nice new friend.

Today brought me another e-mail as a result of my comment on A Word A Day. This one came from a young man who wondered if I was the mother of one of his high school classmates. Of course, that was the case - he had been in Jean's high school graduating class. He didn't remember, though, that we had been acquaintances of his parents and very good friends of their next-door neighbors. He is now a successful professional in Texas, but is planning to attend the high school reunion.

Lagniappe!
-----------------------------
I have to share Clay Bennett's "on target" (pun intended) editorial cartoon from the 3 June 2009 edition of the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: