Monday, February 23, 2009

Do NOT buy from Sears!

Our power went out this morning while we were getting dressed to go to the Y, so we left early. At least it was on when we got back home. John went to bridge this afternoon, and I stayed home to wait for the washer delivery. That was scheduled between 2:15 and 4:15.

The installers got here early - at 2. And things seemed to go downhill from there. The service guy who came last week had put several towels into the non-draining front-loader to soak up the water, and just left them there. The service guy didn't mention it to me, and the installer found them when he opened the machine. There was also standing water inside.

The installers took the old machine out, and I swept the vinyl that would be under the machine. They brought the new machine in, hooked it up, ran some water, I signed the paper, and they left. I was happily washing when John got home. The third load had just finished, when John discovered there was water on the floor in the utility room. Damn! It turns out it was leaking around the filling hose. He turned the water off, as I was calling trying to get hold of somebody to come fix the problem.

It was nearly 5 p.m. I called the store, and couldn't seem to get past the menu to a person. I finally called the number on the card of the saleswoman I had dealt with on Saturday. She said she'd have somebody call me. Another woman called, and I explained all this to her. She said to turn off the water (which we had done), and that they'd have somebody come on Friday. FRIDAY?!?!? I told her that was absolutely NOT acceptable, and that the latest I would accept would be tomorrow (Tuesday) morning at 8 a.m., and expressed concern about possible damage to the floor. We went round and round for a while, and then she transferred me to Christopher in the service and claim department. (Unfortunately, no real service seems to be available at Sears.) We went through the story again, and I expressed our concern that there was water on the floor in the utility room, getting under the vinyl that was laid on that section. After going round and round, I finally agreed on his compromise that someone would come on Wednesday to re-install the washer and that somebody would be coming to check for any damage.

About 6:30 p.m., John got on the phone, trying to get somebody high enough up the food chain to register our complaints. He was on the phone for another hour, getting shunted from place to place (including India), and even getting hung up on once. He finally got somebody go agree to send him paperwork for registering a complaint. Then he checked the washer again, and found out it was not level - although that's something else that the installer is supposed to check for.

Needless to say, we are NOT happy customers. Jimmie Mac, you were right - we should've bought from HHGregg. And believe me, wherever we buy the next time, it won't be from Sears. Sears seemed to understand that there was a problem, but didn't really seem to care.

What started out seemingly pretty good, really turned to shit as the day went on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be afraid to tell them you are returning it after you call hhgregg to see what they can do for you. If you keep something bought at Sears -- that means you will have to deal with them in the future.

Sorry about your story.

Mary Z said...

Thanks for the interest, Jimmy. I don't know that we'll be sending it back. They're due to come for the reinstall tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.