Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A long Tuesday!

Tuesday was long. I was gone from about 9 until nearly 9 tonight - most unusual for me. I spent the day at the Gallery. One of our artists is having a solo show, and we got most of it hung today. Well, I mostly stayed out of the way and answered the phone - but I do that extremely well! Tuesday is my day to stay until 4. But then I had a Friends of the Library Board meeting at 4:30, and that's only a few blocks away. After that I met John at the rowing center. We were going to an event at the University at 7, and the time was too short for me to go home and then come back, so we just sat on the deck and watched the lovely evening and the river.

The annual event was put on by the Mocs Club to honor our Lady Mocs - all the women's athletic teams - at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga. The teams are basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, golf, and track & field (mostly cross-country). There was a light buffet dinner served by members of the men's basketball team.

What a gorgeous bunch of young women these are! The speakers, of course, praised the athletic achievements of the teams and athletes (one of our volleyball players just broke the NCAA record for the most number of digs during a game). But they spent more time extolling the academic records of these ladies. Over the years, the women athletes have had a graduation rate 23% higher than that of the total student body. And their combined GPA for the last semester was 3.008. Quite a record!

No comments: