Monday, October 20, 2008

Easy pickings for the Language Snob

Y'all know by know that I'm a terrible language snob - I admit it, and tend to wallow in it. You also know how I feel about the soon-to-be ex-President. His words or even voice are rarely heard in this house. Occasionally, he slips in before I can hit the mute button.

Today in a news broadcast, this is the phrase that I heard: "As I said Friday, this thaw -- took a while to thaw, it's going to take a while to unthaw." WHAT????? What the crap does that mean?

Since Google is my friend, I searched for that phrase and came up with a transcript of the speech from in which he used it. Click here to read the whole speech, given in Alexandria, LA, on 20 October 2008. It's mostly incomprehensible, but the offending phrase is in the next-to-last paragraph.

20 January 2009 cannot come soon enough!
--------------------------------
Tonight, we watched Advise and Consent - the 1962 film based on Allan Drury's book. It's an interesting period piece, with all the greats of Hollywood at the time. The acting is superb. Give it a watch sometime.

No comments: