Thursday, May 17, 2007

Newspapers



We are so fortunate here in Chattanooga. The editorial cartoonist for the Chattanooga Times Free Press is Bruce Plante, and he is great. This is a link to today's cartoon ( 5-17-2007). http://cagle.msnbc.com/politicalcartoons/PCcartoons/plante.asp It sort of sums it all up for me.

Chattanooga used to have two papers - a liberal morning paper and a conservative evening paper. The morning paper, the Chattanooga Times, was started by Adolph Ochs, who later started another little paper that gained some renown - the New York Times. The evening paper, the Chattanooga News Free Press, which had started life as a free shopper. Some years ago, the owner of the News Free Press bought the Times from the Ochs family and combined the two papers into one morning paper - the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

They decided to keep two different editorial staffs and pages - so every day, there are two editorial pages. The liberal page is on the left-hand page, and, of course, the conservative page is on the right. It really makes for interesting reading sometimes. Of course, Mr. Plante is on the left page. Even when we're out of town, we check on line to keep caught up with his work.

I had a great time today. Vicki had asked me to stay at the Studio today so she get last-minute chores done for her wedding on Saturday. There are no classes on Thursday, so I was able to do some stuff for myself. I did a little work on a watercolor. But mostly I straightened my painting "starts", clean paper, collage pieces, etc. Dan had cut me a bunch of odd mats, using the drop-out pieces from the custom-made mats. I wound up spending several hours making small odd-shaped works, either collage or cut-out pieces of "starts". Some of mat 'holes" were maybe 1 x 8" or 2 x 10". I think they turned out really well, and I'm very pleased with the small pieces.

We'll head out midmorning, after swimming and rowing, to go to KY for Andy's graduation tomorrow night.

Today's photograph is one of John's - an unusual cloud formation over Sleeping Ute Mountain from Kelly Place, Cortez, CO.

No comments: