Monday, January 14, 2013

Heart-stopping


We’ve had over 4” of rain over the last couple of days, and it’s not supposed to stop until Wednesday. I surely am glad this isn’t snow!
---------------------------------
Our Lady Mocs beat the College of Charleston tonight 64-53. They’re doing well this year - at least better than predicted.
---------------------------------
I had not heard any of the last names of the children murdered in Newtown. Tonight, we turned the TV on in the middle of a Rachel Maddow interview with the parents of one of the first-graders. As I looked at the screen, I saw that their child’s name was Ben Wheeler. It just made my heart stop. My uncle was named Ben Wheeler (1905-1965). And there’s a town in Texas named Ben Wheeler. I’m sure there’s no family connection, but I can guarantee those parents that wherever they believe their son is now, there is a loving, kind man watching over his namesake. RIP Ben Wheeler.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

The ripples spread. I had a note from some friends of ours, now in Florida, who used to own a restaurant in Newtown. It was long before I knew them -- and I've known them for forty-five years. Nevertheless, they just didn't do Christmas this year; it was too depressing.