Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"With Hope and Virtue" (G. Washington); With Pride and Hope (me)

 


Renee called to share the moments of the inauguration with us. She made me realize that I needed to think about the day and think about what I was going to write tonight. Fortunately, thanks to CSpan, I got a chance to listen to the inaugural address again. So these are random notes I made this afternoon.

Memories that I took away from today's Inauguration and history-making events:

As I said in my last entry, how wonderful to participate, however vicariously, in this wonderful peaceful transition.

It was cold, as expected in January, but there was brilliant sunshine on the proceedings. And how great it is to have the literal sunshine AND the figurative sunshine in the hope for more openness in our government.

I loved that the new president pledged to protect the country from terrorism and outside dangers, without tramping on the rights and liberties promised us in the Constitution. "We reject the notion that it is a choice between our safetly and our ideals. We will not give them up for expedience's sake."

President Obama was eloquent in his placing the problems we face today in the context of historical events.

The phrase that I remembered specifically was directed to the rest of the world - that we would "extend a hand if you will unclench your fist".

Both of the Obamas actually sang the Star Spangled Banner along with the Navy choir (as did Gen. Colin Powell).

Bill Dahn asked in his blog what his readers were feeling today. My answer was Pride and Hope!

Another quote: "Our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness."

You've never heard me say anything nice about "W", but I have to say that his and his staff's handling of the transition has been most gracious.

How lucky we are to live in this wonderful country!

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sian said...

A lot of us in the UK watched the inauguration too - it was broadcast live on BBC and other channels. It was a very moving ceremony and several phrases of Obama's speech sent shivers down my spine - but particularly the phrase you mentioned "we will extend a hand if you will unclench your fist". May this be the dawn of a bright new day (to quote someone I'm sure!)