Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Guest Blogger - John

Today is a very special day.  I had my last radiation treatment this morning.  I had the last chemo treatment last Thursday.  According to the doctors my cancer should be in remission.  All I have to do now is to regain the strength and stamina that I have lost due to chemo and radiation.

It has not been a fun trip.  The side effects were not bad for the first half.  It got tougher and tougher as it went along.  I came out of it with almost all of my hair, most of my appetite, and all of my sense of humor.

I had the greatest support that anyone could ask for, starting with Mary.  She has been there for me every second of every day.  What ever I needed she was there, usually before I asked.  She had my back, front, and both sides.  The idea of going through this without her at my side is something I don't even want to think about.

My daughters were always there, I love you girls.  Mary's water aerobics class, as always, was there to support whoever was in need. It was my turn.  One never knows how great one's friends are until you are the one who needs a friend.

The nurses and techs at the hospital were always wonderful.  The radiation techs were always bright, cheerful. and caring.  This is at 7 am. I don't know how they do it.  Unless I can not judge people they truly cared about me as a person.  I did not see the chemo nurses nearly as often but the same warmth and caring was there.

I did it with a lot of support and love.  I want everyone that helped me through this to know that I really appreciate it  Folks, I love you!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

This post makes me so incredibly happy. Speedy return to health!

Jennifer said...

Another Jennifer here. What wonderful news!!

Give yourself plenty of time to recover your strength. When my husband finished treatment for lung cancer it took much longer than we expected for him to feel like his old self again. Slow and steady does the trick! Good luck and congratulations!!

Sue Retzlaff said...

Woo Hoo, John! I'm so happy you've finished your treatment and are on the mend.

Take it easy for a while and enjoy life. Your body strength will return--your mental/family strength held you up during the ordeal.

Love and hugs,
Sue R. in Auburn

jon said...

I am glad things are going well for you, John. It sounds like you are getting great care from your team.

Sian said...

Just catching up and was hoping for some good news. Glad things are going OK. Take it easy, and take it day by day to regain your strength! But I just read Mary's post that you did the grocery shopping for her. Yes!!!

Sian said...

Just catching up and was hoping for some good news. Glad things are going OK. Take it easy, and take it day by day to regain your strength! But I just read Mary's post that you did the grocery shopping for her. Yes!!!