Monday, August 11, 2014

Robin Williams (1951-2014)

Robin Williams (1951-2014)

How sad. And what a loss for not just his family and friends, but for all of us.

Reference has been made to his depression and his substance abuse problems leading to his probale suicide. At the same time, they’re talking about his manic comedy turns. But I’ve not heard anybody put the two together as manic-depression or bipolar disorder.

My sister was diagnosed as manic-depressive about the time a name was put on this disorder. (She died nearly 20 years ago from other causes.) When I read about it, it was like they were writing about my sister - with the mood swings, the high highs and the corresponding lows. She attempted suicide at least once (that I know of). And this sounds so much like Robin Williams.

We can only rejoice in the wonderful gifts he gave us - Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, and (my personal favorite) The Bird Cage, etc. And feel so sorry for the pain he was obviously enduring.

RIP

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Don't laugh -- I made the connection. I have a bipolar child, born before they were diagnosing it in children.

I made the diagnosis myself when I was working for a mental health facility. By that time, she was over 21, and I kept my mouth shut.

I commented on FB that, had I known Robin was depressed -- everyone knew he was manic -- I would have understood better. But diagnosed or not, it is a hard life without the proper support.