Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Election Day


I had my semiannual teeth cleaning this morning - no problems, just sparkling teeth. Then it was time for the grocery stores. I got a corned beef at Aldi, and cooked it in the oven now. I haven't fixed one of those in ages, and am always looking for something different to fix.

I grew up in the south, so corned beef is not a traditional thing in my family cooking lore. I don't think I've ever had "corned beef and cabbage". But I have cooked the meat before - just not in a long time. I baked a couple of sweet potatoes and had spinach with it. I have to go with what will "sell" around here (and it’s definitely not cabbage).

That storm line roared through here this afternoon. We had lightning and thunder, about 0.75” of rain, and then the sun came out. The forecast for tonight and tomorrow is for cold and snow showers. As they say, if you don't like the weather, wait a while - it'll change.


==============================

Today was Election Day for our mayor and city council. We voted a couple of weeks ago in the early voting, but, as always, watched with interest for the results. The incumbent mayor was unable to run (term limits), so we knew we were getting a new mayor. The winner won with over 70% of the vote - as expected. He was our choice - a very capable young man. The council woman in our district wasn’t running for reelection, so that was an open seat. Amazingly, our choice of the three candidates actually won without a runoff. The rest of the council will be quite different. Two incumbents were defeated, and two other incumbents face run-off elections next month. Nothing is quite as much fun as local politics - especially now that we’re not directly involved, and can watch it more as a spectator sport.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

I once baked a corned beef with sugar and ginger ale to make a crust (similar,I think,to coating a ham).

I used to serve it with cole slaw, which we all liked, but if you want spinach, consider my spinach casserole.

Mary Z said...

That sounds great - I'll try it sometime. This was a bag of frozen chopped spinach from Aldi, just boiled with a bit of hot sauce (me) or lemon (John). It was very good that way, too.