Monday, October 29, 2012

Getting back on track

Thanks so much for all the good wishes. It really does help to know there are folks out there who care. The swimmers have been keeping us well fed and laughing. And some lovely flower arrangements brighten the living room.

A card from one of the swimmers shows three white-haired broads in bathing suits at the beach. One says “Okay, it’s my turn to make the HOT lifeguard drag me out of the water and give ME mouth-to-mouth.” Inside it says “Friends like us always make WAVES!” And don’t we just love it that way.

I’ve set up my first postop appointment with the surgeon on Friday morning, and the first physical therapy session is early Wednesday morning.

Mostly I don’t know what I’d’ve done without John. He’s been great. A Word A Day posted this Thought for the Day right before the surgery. This about says it all:

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: You know what getting married is? It's agreeing to taking this person who right now is at the top of his form, full of hopes and ideas, feeling good, looking good, wildly interested in you because you're the same way, and sticking by him while he slowly disintegrates. And he does the same for you. You're his responsibility now and he's yours. If no one else will take care of him, you will. If everyone else rejects you, he won't. What do you think love is? Going to bed all the time? -Jane Smiley, novelist (b.1949)

====================================

I especially want to send good thoughts and hopes for safety through this storm to all in harm’s way - especially Harriet and Dennis & Lisa.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Love that quote. I'd like to share it with young people, but they probably won't read it because it's more than 140 characters.

I should borrow it for one of those "Face Time" posts.

Mary Z said...

Help yourself, Harriet, since I borrowed it from Wordsmith. Glad y'all are safe.