Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Censorship? NEVER!!!

Censoring Mark Twain - or any other book? OUTRAGEOUS!

One of the posters on SeniorLearn elaborated on my comment: "Censoring Mark Twain is almost sacreligious in nature. Many have not realized the man was NOT a racist! He wrote Huckleberry Finn deliberately to showcase the racism rampant in the country AT THAT TIME. Ergo, we not only change a masterpiece, but we distort History! It was what it was. People talked quite openly in a scathing manner about anyone who was not of their color, race, nationality, and so on and on. Sure, good manners were required among those who were considered equals; but you could treat everyone else like dirt. I think we ought not to forget that, and we ought not to try to cover the stink of our collective past."
=====================================
We watched The Last Samurai (2003) with Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe. Pretty good flick, but I have to agree with one of the reviews on Netflix - “Dances with Wolves in Japan”. That’s right on the mark.
=====================================
Our artists’ group lunch today was fun - as always. It was a cold, rainy day, and chili was just right. It’s a good group, and we’re glad we’ve set up a regular monthly get-together.
=====================================
Walking down the MidAtlantic Rift in Iceland.

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mickle in NZ said...

Dear Mary - you are reminding me of the first versions of "Gulliver's Travels" I read as a child and then later.

I now have a copy with the original text - a text that I keep re-reading, and that so has me thinking.

Next up I must read Mr Twain's original written works. This gentleman that visited here - only I can't remember anything of what he said about the place (am guessing it was different to Zain Grey's (sic) words!!!

Jennifer said...

It's shameful when they revise history, isn't it?