Thursday, August 06, 2009

Portuguese knitting

Gee, a second entry today.

In a comment on the previous entry, "m" asked about Portuguese knitting. No, it's isn't knitting backward across the row, without turning. I don't think I'm interested in that yet.

In the Portuguese style, I route the yarn from the ball on my right (I'm right-handed - don't know what a leftie would do), threaded through my right-hand fingers, through a pin or hook pinned to my left shoulder area. This provides the necessary tension (trial and error, and I haven't gotten it consistently right yet). The yarn is thrown for each new stitch with the left thumb, and my right hand rarely has to leave the needle.

Click here for a good UTube video - scroll down just a bit to the top response. She shows knitting and purling, and it's where I got my best look at how it's done.

I experimented with some scrap yarn and about #7 or 8 needles. Give it a try.

1 comment:

Mickle in NZ said...

Very gentle times for your shoulder = a wonderful method,

love and care, I promise I'm now going to beddybise, Michelle xxx