Saturday, March 01, 2008

La Vie en Rose


It definitely looked like spring today. We had bright sunshine, and temperatures in the mid 60s. John went to walk on the Riverwalk. He's frustrated at how much stamina he's lost, but really enjoyed getting out for some exercise in the gorgeous sunshine.

We finally got to watch La Vie en Rose tonight. As a story and a movie, it was very depressing. Edith Piaf had a terrible life - even with all her success. But Marion Cotillard was incredible in the role. I'm sure the other actresses nominated for Best Actress were great, but this performance was definitely a tour de force. I half expected John to leave, with the movie's being so dark, and dealing with the subtitles. But he was fascinated with Cotillard's performance. Her "aging" with the makeup and the stooped osteoporotic posture was amazing. Do put this one on your must-watch list, and be sure to watch the added feature about "Getting into Character".

Today's photo is a rose (of course) from Prague.

1 comment:

Bev Sykes said...

I loved La Vie en Rose. I've been a fan of Piaf for years and was aware of her depressing life, but Cotillard was great. I was only surprised that they didn't do a translation for her signature song, Non Je Ne Regrette Rien ... it still had me in tears because I know the translation, but I was just surprised they left it out.