Saturday, December 08, 2007

The gratuitous "at"


Genetics is something that is always with us. My parents were sticklers for proper language. My mother in particular was very precise, and loved playing word games. This love of language continues through the generations, not just with me, but with our kids. When the grandkids were little, if one used imprecise language, he/she got corrected in stereo. Mother, aunts, and grandparents would all come out with the correct word or usage - all done good-naturedly, of course.

With that background, I come to the object of today's complaint. Schools are not teaching grammar anymore. It doesn't seem to matter to anybody, except me and a few others. There is a blogger ( http://www.banterist.com/ ), the Banterist, who showcases public atrocities in spelling and grammar.

Today, I turned on CSpan2 to watch a talk by the author of a book on Starbucks. The writer and subject were mildly interesting, but I almost had to turn it off. It seemed that every third word was "Ya know" or "like". It began to grate like fingernails down a chalkboard. And then he started to utter the words that constitute my current pet peeve..."where it's at" or "where you're at". What happened to "where it is"? or "where you are"? Why do they think the "at" is necessary? It isn't!!!!

I've become resigned to "free gift" and "different than". But the gratuitous "at" may yet drive me to drink.

Special love and hugs to Anne, Nick, and David.

Today's photo is late afternoon at the Shiloh Battlefield.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grammar Cop!