Friday, December 07, 2007

Dalton's gifts


Our friend, Dalton Roberts, gave me a present this morning. His column this morning in the Chattanooga Times Free Press was titled "Five gifts we can all give our friends". His gift to me was the idea for today's blog, and some thoughts to share with you.

The first gift he lists is "to just be there". How wonderful it is to have someone close to share. It doesn't have to be physically close, just knowing that another person holds you in his/her heart is truly a gift.

Second is to not put someone on a guilt trip in a time of need. Don't tell him how many good things he has - he knows that. It's just that something else is overwhelming at this time.

Third is not to feel that you have to save your friend. You can't possibly take on her load, and it might keep her from solving her problems herself.

Fourth, don't tell him that you've had the same problem, and go on and on about your trouble and how you solved it. He's got to find a solution that works for him and his situation. (I must confess to being guilty of this from time to time. Thanks, Dalton - I'll try to do better about that.)

Last, just listen. Really listen! This is truly the best gift you can give someone. All too often we feel that nobody ever really hears what we say.

You've given me a lot of smiles and good thoughts since I've know you, Dalton. But, I hope today's gift will make me a better person. And learn to really LISTEN!

Today's photo is of snow-dappled mountains in May, over Creede, CO.

No comments: