Monday, June 18, 2007

Sprinkles and Bridge


Our AC (25 years old) is working fine right now (keeping fingers crossed). According to the paper this morning, the high yesterday was 97! Only around 90 today, though, and there were a few light showers in the area - just a sprinkle at our house. That is terrible about the flooding in the Fort Worth area. It's really unusual for them to get that kind of rains.

Swimming this morning, and bridge this afternoon. The cards were mediocre again. Our group is definitely a mixed bag. Some are really good players, and some you just never know WHAT they're doing. I'll just vent about one in particular. He is one of the most obnoxious people to be around that you can imagine. He critiques everything and everybody; tells you even before the hand is played how it is going to be made or not made; and certainly always critiques after the hand is played. And he does it in a loud voice. He's worst with his wife, and she's a pretty good bridge player. Once when I was the declarer, and he was defending, he actually moved the cards around in the dummy. I was flabbergasted, and told him that I'd put them where I wanted them. If he ever does it again, I'm going to tell him in a loud voice to keep his hands off my cards. Today, he was telling me how to score a hand. I told him that I knew how to do it, and he did back off. That's the way it is with bullies - they'll back down if you stand up to them. I've heard almost everybody in the group complain about him. Oh, well - the session is open to anybody, and I guess we have to put up with him. But personally, I'm not going to take any guff from him. I guess it's good to have something so insignificant to complain about.

The new season of The Closer started tonight. It really is one of the best programs on TV today. It's a great ensemble cast, with some of our favorite character actors. If you haven't seen it, give it a try sometime. It's on TNT. Also a new 8-episode series started on PBS tonight, Simon Schama: The Power of Art. I taped it, and am really looking forward to watching it.

Today's picture is along the unpaved road northbound into Chaco Canyon, NM.

No comments: