Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Busy Monday



This week has gotten totally out of hand - and we're only the grandparents of the groom. No telling what all is going on in Johnson City. On top of doing regular things, we had regular eye appointments scheduled this morning, and we'll have to go back tomorrow afternoon for visual field exams. Regular teeth cleaning for me is in the morning. We've got to get haircuts, and get the car washed, etc., etc. Oh, well - it's certainly no worse than I tell it.

We had some good cards and some really lousy cards today. That's the thing about bridge that keeps you coming back - no two days are ever the same.

The eye doc said my eyes were doing fine, and he was pleased with one thing in particular. I have herpes simplex keratitis in one eye. It's the same virus that causes cold sores, etc. Each episode thins the affected area of the cornea, with the ultimate treatment being a corneal transplant. Fortunately, there are now medications that hold it at bay, and I haven't had a recurrence since going on the Rx. The doc told me today that he had been quite concerned about the possibility of a transplant, because the affected area is off to the side of the eye, and would be a very complicated surgery. Needless to say, I'm VERY glad that there is something that prevents further occurrences, even if it doesn't cure the disease.

Be sure to check the new issue of National Geographic Magazine - there's a major article on Stonehenge, which is enough reason to read it, of course. I've been told that a letter I wrote to the magazine is in this month's issue. We haven't gotten ours yet, so I'll be waiting impatiently to see it.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet. -Roger Miller, musician (1936-1992)

Two photos from Google Image to illustrate Roger Miller's quote - I loved them both.

No comments: