Saturday, May 17, 2008

Book and movie reviews


I spent the morning trying on clothes - one of my VERY least favorite things to do. But I have, with John's approval, picked out what I'm going to wear to the wedding. The rehearsal dinner (BBQ) won't be that much of a problem because it's casual. It did get me to weed out a bunch of clothes that I know I'll never wear, so there was a side benefit.

Today was a lovely day, and we sat out on the porch for a while this afternoon. I got some of our objets d'art cleaned off, some even run through the dishwasher, and put them back on the shelves on the porch. We even had our supper on the deck - and it reminded us why we had it built. It's really perfect this time of year.

Old movies from Netflix: We watched The Graduate (1967; Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft) tonight. I don't think we'd ever seen it when it was out originally. I can certainly understand why it was iconic at the time, to the point of being a cult film. The performances were wonderful (was Dustin Hoffman EVER that young?), and the music (Simon & Garfunkel) was magnificent. But we didn't think the movie, as such, was all that great.

I've just finished Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. What a lovely book that is! I recommend it highly.

Today's photo is from the Butterfly Garden at the Tennessee Aquarium.

2 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed "Water for elephants." It was quite different from what I expected and I just loved it.

Mary Z said...

I was definitely surprised by the ending.