Monday, April 28, 2008

Prep day


Today was prep day - how exciting! It certainly meant that I had to stay close to home. John went to play bridge. I came in second last week. Then he told me that HE came in first! A family sweep...imagine that.


Today's entry in The Sandbox is another conversation with Hamid. It's too long to post in its entirety (you'll have to click to read the whole thing - and I recommend that you do), but I will copy the last paragraphs here.

We talked some more, and I wish I'd had a tape recorder, because it was a good discussion. Mike got up to leave and said, "Hamid, we aren’t being mean. We are trying to get you to think. If you believe the Qur’an is God’s word, then you need to read it so you know what it says, not what one man tells you it says."

This is good advice for everyone, regardless of our personal beliefs. People are very good at leading us astray, whether intentionally or not. Although we were encouraging Hamid to critically examine his beliefs, it brings into sharper contrast the blessings of our country, where we are truly free to do just that. Imagine what it would be like to live in a country where the people do not have freedom to choose their faith (or choose to have none). I don’t have to imagine it; I’ve been there. It’s a scary place.

John read this conversation with Hamid, and had an interesting observation. He suggested that Islam today is where Christianity was before the Reformation. Only the clergy had access to bibles. Ordinary people either couldn't read, or couldn't read the bible, which was only in Latin (not the local language). Christianity didn't really open up until after the Reformation. Such deep thoughts today.
Today's photo is a hibiscus opening on Margaret's deck last Memorial Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found that post on Sandbox very interesting in light of the story on CBS Sunday Morning about discrimination in the US military against athiests and non-Christians. Apparently there is a young man in the Army who had to be assigned a bodyguard after declaring his athiesm. It seems to be nearly as bad as being gay. Thank goodness being a convicted felon isn't nearly as dangerous to unit cohesion.

K

Mary Z said...

I had forgotten about that segment. Thanks for reminding me. It is scary, indeed!