Tuesday, July 24, 2007

In the eye of the beholder?


I've managed to post a few messages and get "not too uncomfortable" moving around the new Practice Discussion Page on SeniorNet. I've even posted my photograph under my name, and set up my profile. Everybody's still in quite a tizzy over all the upheaval. The big change of the rest of the SeniorNet site is scheduled to happen Wednesday afternoon. They don't have a scheduled time for the Discussion shift as yet.

As I've asked before, what is ART??? Is "art" limited only to the representation of actual objects or people, portrayed realistically? What else can be considered art? Some of the folks posting in the Computer Generated Art discussion on SeniorNet have been in a pissing contest over whether abstract art, nonrepresentational art, or confrontational art is really "ART".

I finally had to put my 2-cents-worth in, and said this: C'mon folks, let's don't fight. There are many different styles of art, and one is not necessarily better than another. A piece may be technically better than another, but past that, it's up to personal taste. I prefer certainly styles over others, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the talent that goes into making a piece that doesn't "light my fire".

Today's photo is definitely "real", but if painted, it would be abstract or nonrepresentational as well. This cliff exists near Mexican Hat, Utah.

No comments: