Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Independence Day!


There were lots of fireworks displays around here last night, and there will be more tonight. We went next door for their annual cook-out for friends and neighbors, but didn't stay late. I love watching the professional displays, but hate the bang-bang kind. So if there's any of that in the neighborhood, I'll pass. We've been really lazy today - it's been nice.

Click here to read Dana Millbank's column in today's Washington Post. It's about yesterday's White House press conference - comparing it to Lewis Carroll's 'Twas Brillig, etc. It'd be funny, if it weren't so sad and true.

There's not much on TV tonight. We used to enjoy the programs from the National Mall with fireworks and wonderful music and lots of flag-waving. We still love all those things. Unfortunately, the TV programs spend way too much time talking, and not enough on the fireworks, music, and flag-waving. The Boston Pops program is on at 10 - and at least there, we know we'll get to hear The 1812 Overture with the cannons.

I think I'll go back to my book until then. This one's a pretty good yarn: The Lost VanGogh by A. J. Zerries. What are y'all reading this summer? One of our favorite books/movies is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The story was a fictionalized autobiography, and the town is based on her hometown of Monroeville, AL. Kate and Jean drove through there this year on their way to the beach. Ms Lee still lives in Monroeville. Of course, they didn't see her, but they did visit many of the sites depicted in the book. John and I have got to do that some year.

Today's picture is one of Jean's taken in the real courthouse used as a model for the one in Mockingbird.

2 comments:

Sandy Davidson said...

All I can say is that the current Whitehouse turns my stomach.. And for my own sanity, I avoid watching anytime they say or do anything. (I am in major denial)



1 year, 200 days, 1 hour, 53 minutes, and 55 seconds...

That is still too long for me!

This summer I am re-reading Anne Rices Mayfair Witch Saga... "The Witching Hour", "Lasher", and "Taltos", along with the "Witches Companion" to keep things straight..

I am enjoying this much better the second time around.

Mary Z said...

Re-reads are fun. Our responses to books at different times in our lives is always interesting. It's especially good to find them as good or better. MZ