Thursday, November 05, 2015

Out of the past




     On my way to exercise class this morning, I noticed some "Welcome to the Terrace" signs on several doors, and I recognized one of the names.  It was "Bob S."  There was a guy by this name that John knew from the rowing club.  It's not an uncommon name, but I wondered if it was the same guy.
     As the fates would have it, I wound up sitting at the dinner table with this man, who turned out to be not only "Bob", but THE Bob.  He moved in only five days ago.

     As we talked, I remembered that Bob and John had worked together at duPont. John had been a kayaker, but it was beginning to take a toll on his shoulders.  He was talking to Bob, and Bob said when John retired, he should try out rowing.  This was in 1991.  John retired at the end of 1991, and the following spring, he took a class to learn how to row.  As they say, the rest is history.

     We had a nice chat and, of course, he was sorry to hear of John's death.  We'll be talking again, I'm sure.  It was a treat to find someone from the past.  But it makes me sad that there's no one who knows both of them to share the story with.



No comments: