Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Poblanos, etc.


It’s been a busy Wednesday.

After swimming and coffee, I went to the eye doctor for the followup appointment after the laser treatment to my eye last week.

They told me everything is looking good - always good to hear. I do still have some floaters, and with any luck, they’ll eventually go away (or I’ll get used to them and not “see” them anymore).

I’ve been planning to make a new dish to take to the swim class party on Friday. Poola mentioned having had a chile relleno casserole - definitely my kind of thing. The base, of course, is poblano chiles and eggs. OK - I can do this. But then I couldn’t find any canned poblano chiles (jalapenos and serranos, but no poblanos). There were plenty of fresh ones, so I guessed I’d have to roast the chiles myself. That was going to be a challenge and involved actual WORK.

I checked the Pioneer Woman for instructions and gave it a try. Who knows how successful I was. I’ll make this tomorrow, but have no clue as to whether or not it’ll be edible. I think I’ll make some cheese grits, too - for insurance.

After going to two stores to try to find the canned poblanos, I got the fresh ones at the Mexican Carneceria near Vicki’s house. For a chance some timing worked out. Vicki had invited a few good friends to her house for lunch today, and I got there just a little ahead of time. It was a nice party with some great gals.

It did make for a busy day, but definitely a good one. Check back to see how the casserole worked out.

No comments: