Saturday, July 28, 2012

Opening Ceremony

Just finished the opening ceremonies - certainly was an exciting evening. The spoof with the Queen and James Bond was a hoot - she always seems to be such a good sport. It's always neat to see the parade of nations and the excited athletes. That's always my favorite part. I thought it was a great touch to bring the torch in through the honor guard of the construction workers who actually built the venues, and then to have the upcoming young athletes light the Olympic flame by lighting smaller lights from each of the participating nations.

And now to find the various games we want to watch.
----------------------------
Note: We never did see the yellow jackets that got into the house. I guess they’ve died somewhere.
=================
From the vaporetto, Venice.

4 comments:

Harriet said...

I watched it too. All by myself, as no one watches what I watch. I didn't appreciate all of it, but I liked a lot of the ideas.

I sit there through the parade of nations, knowing what comes next and muttering, "that's not a country!" Well, that's their game. When it's my game, it's my rules.

Mary Z said...

LOL, Harriet!

Mickle in NZ said...

I didn't see the first 1/3..... 1/2? but did see the athletes march in, the Olympic flag be delivered by our very great and caring young folks, and the flame lit ......... that just had me in awe of such simple, classical and effective wonder.

Did you notice that the child walking/marching at the front of each country/nation held one of the special copper lamps, and that they wore a semi-classical greek style garment?

It took quite a while before the very shape of those lamps registered in my brain .... they are just like the lamps in the art work I saw ages ago in Classical studies - especially Ancient Greek and Elderly Roman pottery .

Sending you each and both much caring love, Michelle xxxxxxxx

Sian said...

Ah - I was wondering how anyone outside the UK would take the ceremony. Here we thought it was delightfully bonkers! I'd THOUGHT I'd heard our UK commentator say the children were carrying copper KETTLES when actually he said PETALS. I had visions of everyone being made a nice cup of tea at the end. Very British! LOL!

I sang along to the music and loved it - but there were an awful lot of "in jokes" and wasn't sure if some of it would be interpreted by those overseas.

Yes the Queen & 007 was one of my favourite bits! Have watched it again online.