Thursday, January 05, 2012

Ways to get smarter

In the Newsweek Magazine of 9 & 16 January 2012, there is a list of 31 ways to get smarter in 2012.

Certainly a way to pique our interest. I had no idea what some of their suggestions were about (must be an age thing), some we already do, and I have no intention of doing. I’ll list some, and we’ll see how it goes.

1. Play Words with Friends. I’m certainly up on this one - playing about 8-10 games with various people.

2. Eat tumeric. I know what that is, but it’s not something I’ve ever used.

3. Take tae kwon do. Not bloody likely!

4. Get news from Al Jazeera. I keep meaning to check out their web site. I’ve heard elsewhere that it’s a good place to get international news.

5. Toss your smartphone. Don’t guess I’ll do that, but then I’m not on it all the time, either.

6. Sleep. A lot. Well, I certainly have that one down pat.

10. Learn a language. I have a smattering of French and Spanish, but I don’t think I’ll start another one now.

11. Eat dark chocolate. We have a piece of dark chocolate every night after dinner.

12. Join a knitting circle. Since I knit nearly every day, I guess I have this one under control - even if I don’t do it in a group.

13. Wipe the smile off your face. But I really don’t like to frown.

14 Play violent videogames. Not planning to do that either.

15. Follow these people on Twitter. I don’t do Twitter.

16. Eat yogurt. Got that - several time a week.

18. See a Shakespeare play. Not my favorite thing to do.

20. Hydrate. There’s always a glass of water within my reach - and I actually drink it.

22. Visit MOMA (Museum of Modern Art). I’ve been there twice, but I probably won’t be going to NYC again. I’ll have to make do with our local museum and art museums when we travel.

23. Play an instrument. I don’t guess they mean the radio or a CD player, but that’s all I play.

24. Write by hand. I do still handwrite a few notes, but that’s about all.

26. Zone out. I can handle that one quite well.

27. Drink coffee. I guess my 4-6 cups a day will work.

28. Delay gratification. We certainly went without for a lot of years until we got enough money to get stuff.

29. Become an expert. Don’t know if I’m an expert, but I’m pretty good at knitting, word puzzles, and a few other things.

31. Get out of town. We certainly do that well. Sometimes we even have trouble staying home.

Check out the magazine to see the whole list.

No comments: