Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My painting

I did get to stay home all day today. And I got some work done on my painting. I have four pieces in progress - one further along than the others.

It’s not easy, with the kind of work I do, to decide when a piece is “finished”. By definition, non-objective art doesn’t is not based on anything specific, so it isn’t necessarily recognizable as an object or a person or a landscape, etc. It’s a combination of the various principles of art - value, contrast, balance, etc., all presented as composition. It definitely takes some thinking.

But on the other hand, I’m all about the process, not so much about the product. And I LOVE “playing in the paint”. It’s happened on one of these pieces - I got so into applying the paint, that I was using my hands. It gets pretty thick then. I’m still not anywhere near a “finish” with this piece, but I’m loving the feel that the paper has taken on. It now has a sensuous, leathery feel. That’ll just get better, as additional paint increases the thickness.

This is probably WAY more than you wanted to know about my painting, but I just wanted you to get an idea of the sort of work that I do. If I get anything out of this class that I’m really pleased with, I’ll post some photos.
========================
A shy local resident, Angkor Thom.

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I think you may have a hidden (so far) talent for sculpture.