Monday, April 18, 2011

Not your usual Monday

It was a strange start to the morning…

We did the usual Monday thing - up at 6 and off to the Y. Only to be greeted at the door with the news that the lap pool was closed because of some problem with the heating system. Well, phooey - getting up at 6 for no good reason. We told folks in the fitness center that we’d meet them at coffee about 9. And we went back home to read the paper.

As we pulled in the driveway, we heard a lot of sirens in the area, but didn’t know why. Then the phone rang. Seems the fire trucks were headed for the Y. The folks in the fitness center called to say that the Y was closed and they were heading for Panera. It was now about 7:30. At the Y, they had smelled that “something electrical burning” smell, called the Fire Department, and evacuated the building. (I don’t know what they found, but the building is now open…and the pool is due to be open by Wednesday morning).

So the usual Monday coffee group gathered - only about 1.5 hours earlier than usual, with more people than usual. John and I got to show-and-tell the stuff we brought back from our trip. And we talked and talked and drank more coffee. Amazing to be through with WalMart and Aldi, and home by 9:30.

I finished up the day with the annual visit to the oncology surgeon’s NP. I’m now six years out from my diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer. Mammogram and exam are clear, and I’ve been dismissed from their care. I’ll just get my followups with my regular doctor.

Remember, be sure to get your mammogram regularly!
=============================
Salisbury Cathedral
 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mickle in NZ said...

Dear Mary, I'm delighted myself and delighted for you with your results at the surgeon's - this is such good news for you, and for all your family and friends too.

We have a free mamomgram program here for women aged from 45 to 69, and yes - I signed up at my GP check up a month after my 45th birthday last year. You know, the worst part was finding the mobile screening centre as it was on the opposite side of the National Drama and Dance school to that shown on the program's map! (all was okay for me.)

Sending care and huggles, Michelle and a soundly, silently sleeping Zebby Cat

Harriet said...

Excellent news! (You and I must have been in treatment around the same time.)