Saturday, April 30, 2011

Getting caught up.

I got back to Chattanooga about 6:30 last night. We saw some of the storm damage along I-24 at the Tennessee River on the drive back from Nashville. A swimming friend had fixed supper for us, and that was a great goodness. Then home to unpack and unwind.

During the storm, a tree fell over across the turnaround in the back of the house, and landed on the screened porch roof. It poked a hole through the porch ceiling, but seemingly nothing in the house itself. There is some shingle and gutter damage that’ll have to be repaired. The power line to our house is connected, but swinging too low. A tree company came and cut up the tree yesterday morning, and all traces of it are gone now (except the damaged stuff). We can now get the cars out of the carport, but the line will have to be fixed. John’s talked to the power company, but with all the outages in the service area, it’ll be a while before they get to this (as it should be).

In another month or so, we’re going to have a couple more trees taken out. We’ve been avoiding doing it, but it looks like somebody’s telling us that it’s time to do that. The devastation near here and across GA/AL/MS is just incredible. The towns in north Georgia that were flattened are really part of metro Chattanooga, so not far from us at all. They found one family of four all killed in their destroyed house. Just terrible!

My aunt is tired and ready to “go”, but just keeps plugging along. She’s very frail and weak, but so far able to stay in the assisted living section of her complex. The staff is close to recommending that she go into the nursing care area, but she doesn’t want to do that. I think she was really down when she called, and decided she wanted to see me one more time. I’m glad I got to spend those days with her. I don’t know how much longer she has. She’s still the wonderful lady she’s always been.

And, on a lighter note…. A smaller disaster! All my fault! I left my Kindle on the first of my two flights yesterday. I've reported it to Southwest, and have notified Amazon so they can "deactivate" the device until it's returned to me. Oh, dear, what will I do if it's gone forever. I know I won't lose my books, but I'll have to get something new. Trauma!!!!
-------------------------------

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Looks as if you have a guardian angel too! I'm glad your damage was minimal. Ask the power company if you can get a, I don't know what they call it, a cover for the fallen line, so that no one gets hurt accidentally touching it.

Jennifer said...

Glad you escaped the bad stuff. But ugh... These storms were awful!