Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Try it. You'll like it!

This is not a "cooking blog". And I can't remember ever making soup from a recipe. But this one sounded so good that I just had to give it a try. And, all I can say is, "Try it. You'll like it!"

Lookout Mountain Bean Soup

2 big onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cans chopped chilies
2 cloves garlic
2 chorizo sausages
1 quart water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 1-pound bag Great Northern beans cooked or 3 (16-oz)
cans Great Northern beans, untrained
½ pound ham, cubed
4 potatoes, diced (canned potatoes, OK)
1 bag chopped collard greens, well-chopped
------------------
Saute onions, peppers, chilies, garlic, and chorizo in olive oil till onions and peppers are tender and sausage is browned and cooked through. Add water and bouillon cubes. Add beans and ham and simmer for about a half-hour. Add potatoes and collards and simmer 30- 45 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

Note: This recipe is easily doubled. Add kale if you don’t have collards.
-------------
Mary’s note: The above is the recipe as printed in the newspaper. I omitted bell pepper (I don’t ever use them). The only green John likes is spinach, so I used a box of frozen chopped spinach. I soaked and cooked the dried beans the night before, and I used all the cooking water from the beans. I had a package of uncooked hash brown potatoes, so I used that for the potatoes.
---------------------
This is a great soup! It doesn’t need additional salt, maybe a bit of pepper added to taste at the table. Next time I would use an additional can of chopped mild chilies and maybe a little Old Bay seasoning (or at least put the Old Bay on the table for those who would like some).
---------------------
Can't you just imagine cooking this soup in your houseboat on the Canal.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: