Friday, January 01, 2010

New Year's Day is for football (in the US)

The Auburn/Northwestern game was incredible - what an ending! And the Penn State/LSU game was a last-minute win, too. Football seems to be the game today, so congratulations to all the winners and condolences to the losers. And there are still more games to come during the next week.

I made my rendition of Hoppin' John tonight, and it was quite good. I cooked chopped onion and garlic in (gasp!) a little bacon grease left over from breakfast. I drained and rinsed a can of black-eyed peas and added that plus a can of chopped mild green chilis. To that I added about 2 cups of cooked white rice, and heated it all together. With salt and pepper to taste, it was really good. I also had some left-over pork ribs, cornbread, green salad, and fruit salad. A good meal! And a typical Southern meal for New Year's Day.
---------------------
This photo is from the boat, looking west down the Erie Canal from Fairport, NY.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: