Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pay attention and read the fine print

I got some interesting mail yesterday. Remember back in October 2012, I had a partial shoulder replacement, replacing the plate and screw fixation I had had following my fall on 31 July 2012.

This letter was from Medicare to the hospital, with a copy to me. Medicare was advising the hospital that payment for my hospital stay was being denied, and would be the responsibility of the hospital. What????

I had been told by the doctor and by the hospital at my pre-admission visit that, after the surgery, I would be in the hospital from three to five days. In the event, I had the surgery one morning and was discharged about suppertime the next day - so about 36 hours in the hospital.

From the letter, it appears that Medicare had denied the claim, the hospital had asked for a review. This letter was saying that after the review, the claim was still being denied. The grounds were that I had no complicating medical conditions and could have had follow-up care at a lower-level-of-care facility or at home. Also, since I had not been notified, in writing, that Medicare might not cover the hospitalization, the hospital would be responsible for the charges. The hospital can still appeal this decision.

They’re now supposed to be doing joint replacements as outpatient surgery???? Holy cow! Remember to check the fine print. I go back to see the surgeon next month. I’ll surely be asking him about this.
-----------------------------------------------------------
They come in threes; Shirley Temple Black, Sid Caesar, and today, Ralph Waite. He’s been playing Jethro’s father on NCIS. That will be tough for them to deal with.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Last night’s snow was gorgeous, and John got some great pictures this morning. It’s almost all gone now, after a day of sunshine and temperatures in the mid 40s.




No comments: