Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Rant (and shoulder update)


Rutgers has one of the great coaches in women’s basketball. C. Vivian Stringer is one of the great ladies of sports - certainly a role model for any aspiring coach.

How can a university with Stringer as an example put up with a scumbag like Mike Rice for five minutes?! Much less originally giving him four months probation. His ass should’ve been fired the moment anyone was aware of his attitude toward his players.

I’ve always thought Bobby Knight was one of the sport world’s worst people, but this guy may set a new low. I couldn’t believe that Knight was ever hired again as a coach, or that he is actually on TV commenting on ballgames and doing commercials. And I can only hope this doesn’t happen with this disgraced coach.

Rice should not only be fired, but get no retirement or other benefits. Since this behavior had been going on for several years, the AD should be fired also.

The families of the players would certainly be within their rights to sue the pants off Rice and the university.

As I said, I just can’t equate this with the home of C. Vivian Stringer.

=========================

Health note: I saw the orthopedist today. He said all is going well with my shoulder. Within another 6-8 months, I should gain another 10-15% active motion. I’ll probably never get to where I was before I fell. I specifically asked, and he said it wasn’t a mental problem, it was mechanical. Those lifting muscles in my arm aren’t attached the way they were before the accident. I need to continue to work on strengthening the muscles. I go back in September.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Women coaches are better because, as in every field, women still have to be better to be considered equal. Have you noticed that even male coaches of women's teams are better. Just incidentally, the associate head coach of Connecticut, Chris Daly, is a Rutgers girl? (They've never forgiven her!)

Glad to hear your shoulder is improving. With a decent summer...