Thursday, April 25, 2013

Miscellany




I’ve been having trouble with the temperature regulation in my oven for some time now. John’s fiddled with the gauge setting, but that hasn’t really helped. I keep a thermometer in the oven so I can check to see what happens when I set the dial for 350. After 30 minutes, it might be 450, or it might be 300. It’s always a surprise.

The range is a GE gas stove. We got it when we changed the heating to natural gas in early 1989. This stove is now old enough to vote, to buy its own booze, and is older than Sarah. I broke up the representative at the gas company when I said this during my call to get a recommendation for a repair company. She suggested having a moment of silence over it and go shopping for a new one. I called and the guy is coming tomorrow to give me an estimate.

=======================================

We went to see 42 tonight. In case you don’t know, it’s the story of Jackie Robinson as he became the first black to play in major league baseball. It's a really good movie - definitely one we'd recommend. The small stadium scenes and the train at the railroad station were filmed here in Chattanooga, and a lot of the extras are local people. It was a big deal while they were here filming last year. Really great music from the 1940s, too.






After the movie, we went to eat at Outback. We hadn’t been there in years. The food was as good as we’d remembered. We enjoy going to the movies. I wish we’d find more that we wanted to see so we could do it more often.

1 comment:

Harriet said...


That is the one film I look forward to, and I may not see it for years. But Jackie Robinson played for the Brooklyn Dodgers when I became a baseball fan; I love infielders.

When I began going to school in New York, an inexpensive place to eat was Chock Full O' Nuts, where Jack was an executive. And when I was in high school, I knew his wife.

That's almost as much fun as having them film in your backyard. 8)